Amazing book on the metaverse economy

I read this last summer and it was fucking dope.

It was actually written in 2015, so it was very early in the days crypto. Still, a lot of the ideas in the book apply to crypto and the emerging web3 economy

I’ve copied some of the cool stuff I found it in below…

Edward Castranova - Wildcat Currency: How the Virtual Money Revolution is Transforming the Economy

Money
It is a mistake to think of some money as real and other money as fake. The value of money has always depended on what people think, which is not a “real” thing. Even gold, whose worth is so culturally ingrained that many people are convinced of its value, is useful as money…

New money consists of database entries, which have no independent value at all… which is basically what blockchain has become

Virtual Currencies Already Compete With ‘Real’ Currencies
Virtual currencies now already competing with real ones. On ISK (Icelandic korona)s Wikipedia page, they have to establish that the in-game currency… of EVE is on EVEs Wikipedia.

Facebook can be considered a metaverse world. It gets money from advertisers who want to advertise in-world. Facebook’s revenue in 2020 was $86 billion…

*This happening more and more today. Fortnite made $2 billion in 2020 which is more than a small country like the Solomon Island - a set of sovereign islands beside Papua New Guinea *

TL;DR Get this fucking book. It’s a monster…

Books are for fucking neeeeeeeerds

Except this one…

Its great…

Great book, I can confirm…

Still for nerds doh…